What is a skinfold caliper?
The skinfold caliper is a device that measures the thickness of a fold of your skin with its underlying layer of fat. Doing this at the key locations can provide a quite accurate representative of the total amount of fat that is on your body. It is also possible to estimate the total percent of body fat on your body with this tool.
When is the best time to do a reading?
The best time to use a body fat caliper is first thing in the morning, before eating, drinking, working out, or showering. Avoid using body calipers immediately after an exercise session.
How long is the measuring tape?
The tape measure extends up to 60”.
Can you get measurements in cm with this tape?
Yes. The way it measures your body mass percentage is through seeing how many centimeters or inches of fat you have and comparing it to the chart that considers your age and gender.
How do I properly use the caliper set?
Follow these directions carefully:
- While standing, with your fingers 2-3 inches apart, firmly grasp the area above your hips between the thumb and the index finger of your left hand.
- Gently pull the skinfold away from the muscle tissue.
- With the Caliper Tool in your right hand, place the jaws over your skinfold about 1/4” from your left thumb and index finger. The caliper tool should be halfway between the base and the crest of the fold. Please note that it should be perpendicular to the fold.
- Now with your thumb, press the Caliper Tool until you feel a slight “click”.
- Release the jaws of the caliper tool and record your measurement to the nearest millimeter.
- Refer to the chart to determine your body fat percentage.